More food sources, and introverted prey

You would like to see any new feature in the game? This is the place to share your suggestion.
humon

More food sources, and introverted prey

Post by humon » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:58 pm

I'm thinking most trees should provide various nuts for mice and bird to eat. Not a lot, but enough to keep some alive.
Additionally, prey should hide in bushes or trees.
As an example, a single bush could give home to a single mouse. When the mouse feels hungry or wants to reproduce, it would emerge to tend to its needs, then hurry to hide again. Depressed prey would avoid hiding and instead take nice walks in fresh air.
This would be handy because it would be able to protect a limited amount of prey from predators preventing the prey's extinction, while still allowing prey to find food as soon as the mice grow beyond the numbers of bushes.
I'll write a more detailed analysis on predators and prey soon, maybe I can help reach a bit more balance between them?

SmallLivingWorld

Re: More food sources, and introverted prey

Post by SmallLivingWorld » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:33 pm

The hide-behind-bush is a really interesting suggestion. :idea:
It can also balance the predator who-kill-them-all issue.
I like it a lot.... 8-)
But, unfortunately for me, it implies a lot of coding.

Also, even if the animals is hidden, the player most be able to see it.
Otherwise all the animals will disappear from the screen.
We should also be able to select it to see the status, otherwise it will again confuse the player.

The trees that provide food can be easier to do, but we need a visual way to see the food.
With the current trees, which one can produce nuts?
Suggestion?

humon

Post by humon » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:00 am

As a quick Google search the Cedar, Fir, Pine, and I'm pretty sure the Birch trees provide seeds edible to animals.

Looking at them specifically I think it would make most sense for the cedar and the pine/fir trees. Apple trees don't grow at higher altitudes anyways.
Actually, what's the difference between pines and firs anyways? They seem to have the same needs and preferences, as well as the same age.

SmallLivingWorld

Post by SmallLivingWorld » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:32 pm

humon wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:00 am
Actually, what's the difference between pines and firs anyways?
Pine and Fir are very similar.
Fir is bigger and lives a little longer.
The visual is different, but requirement wise, almost the same.