Why mushrooms are the best plant

General game-play discussion between players.
humon

Why mushrooms are the best plant

Post by humon » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:17 am

All plants have their unique stats and quirks, but no matter what they face the same problem: they are forced to compete. In the world of plants, only one shall remain, forests become monogamous, Apple trees disappear in the masses of berries.
Yet one not-quite-plant thrives in any forest no matter how aggressive the trees are... Mushrooms.
This unique and adaptive plant will grow under trees.
What does this mean? The mushroom doesn't compete. it depends. It is quite parasitical as it takes water and space from trees, yet doesn't seek to destroy them, as without the trees there are no mushrooms either. There are no other plants like this, are there?

Also bamboo forest best forest for mushroom farms. The two cooperate really well.
Screenshot_2019-08-07-13-15-14-248_smalllivingworld.com.jpg
Screenshot_2019-08-07-13-15-14-248_smalllivingworld.com.jpg (202.38 KiB) Viewed 81 times

SmallLivingWorld

Re: Why mushrooms are the best plant

Post by SmallLivingWorld » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:16 pm

Hey, this is a very nice article you wrote. Thank you.
I should hire you to write a blog on the game ;).

I tried to made the game as realistic as possible.
But, I know I still have some balancing issue.
I would prefer to have a balance between plant, to avoid one plant that rule them out.
But, in practice it is very difficult.
In real life also I suppose.

humon

Re: Why mushrooms are the best plant

Post by humon » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:31 pm

The power of real life is that there is such a disgustingly large variety, it is impossible for something to dominate. Imagine playing rock paper scissors with 50 different options instead of 3. It's humanely unpredictable.
Every organism has a trick to survive, most often abusing other plants. Trees are large and strong, but in their gaps some grass will always survive, and no matter how invasive herbs are when they can't grow on the side of trees like moss, some areas are just never going to be conquered thanks to these tricks some plants have.

And don't get me started on animals. Half of them are omnivores. I mean, crickets swarming? Yeah, we have birds for that. And frogs. And spiders. And fireants. And even just slightly larger crickets! And since all of those have such different diets and habitats, it's a given the crickets will meet at least one!

Variety is hard to make, but when done right, it might just be the very thing that keeps nature balanced.